It is important that before you start your job search, or during your job search, to consider what you want out of a company. The company that you work for is where you will be spending the majority of your time. If you want to be happy, you shouldn’t just pick a company at random. There are many things to consider.
- Would you prefer a small company, or a large company?
- Do you like a strict schedule or a flexible one?
- Would you prefer a hierarchical structure where the structure is obvious, or a more relaxed structure?
Start thinking about what kinds of environments or activities make you happy? What jobs have you enjoyed? What was it about those jobs that made you want to come to work?
Here are some qualities to consider. Rank the following in order of importance to you personally:
- Job security
- Intellectual tasks or problem solving
- Receiving sufficient training and supervision
- Working with your hands
- High salary
- High sense of achievement
- Working with people
- Routine activity
- Working in a friendly environment
- Physical activity
Consider what you are hoping for in provided benefits. Do you want your company to provide health insurance? What about retirement compensation? How many vacation days? What is most important? Think about how much you will need for salary. Consider what your rent, utilities, furniture, transportation, food, phone, clothing, entertainment, insurance, and college loan payments will cost.
My personal “ideal company qualities” are:
- Variety of tasks
- Challenged with new or difficult problems
- New opportunities
- Advancement opportunities
- Learn new things
- Innovative company
- Exciting environment
- Positive environment
- Initiative encouraged
- Responsibility for projects
- Colleagues – compatible, competent, smart, high energy
What are some of the top company qualities that you’re looking for?