Are you one of the many students on the UMD campus with a Humanities major? Our campus offers an array of Humanities majors ranging from Communication to English to History to Philosophy. We’ve put together a few resources to help you through the career planning process. Included are: what you can do with your major, some tips for success, and general job/intern search information. Have fun working on your career plan!
- What are recent UMD grads doing? Check out the By Majors reports from our Graduate Follow-up Report to learn about the companies, geographic locations, and positions, where recent grads are working. This could give you some great ideas for what you might want to pursue after graduation.
- 11 Reasons to Ignore the Haters and Major in the Humanities (Business Insider)
Internship Programs – a lot of companies have internship programs that happen every year. We have listings (Minnesota, Regional, National) of some of these companies on our Internships page to get you started.
- Communication, Marketing, and Management (Google doc)
- Government, Policy, and History (Google doc)
- Language and Humanities (Google doc)
- Non-profit and Social Sciences (Google doc)
Job & Internship Fairs
- Head of the Lakes Fall & Spring Job & Internship Fairs, early October & early March each year, UMD/UW-Superior
- Government & Nonprofit Career Fair, late-October, UMN Twin Cities
- University of Minnesota Job & Internship Fair (all UMN campuses), late February each year, Minneapolis
- For up-to-date information for each of the fairs, check out our Events page.
Insights From Students About Their Chosen Majors
- The art of Communication: What can I do with it?
- What can I do with a Communication Major?
- Major exploration: Cultural Entrepreneurship (CUE)
- Confessions of a former English major Part 1, Part 2
- Why major in Philosophy?
- What can I do with a Writing Studies degree?