Updated: June 2020
Are you one of the many students on the UMD campus with a social science major? Odds are, you are. Our campus offers an array of social science majors ranging from Anthropology to Psychology to Cultural Entrepreneurship to Political Science. We’ve put together a few resources to help you through the career planning process. Included are: what you can do with your major and general job/internship search information. Have fun working on your career plan!
What are recent UMD grads doing? Check out the By Majors reports from our Graduate Follow-up Report to learn about the companies, geographic locations, and positions, where recent grads are working. This could give you some great ideas for what you might want to pursue after graduation.
Internship Programs: a lot of companies have internship programs that happen every year. We have listings (Minnesota, Regional, National) of some of these companies on our Internships page to get you started with your search.
Job & Internship Fairs
- Head of the Lakes Fall & Spring Job & Internship Fairs, early October & early March each year, UMD/UW-Superior
- Government & Nonprofit Career Fair, late-October, UMN Twin Cities
- University of Minnesota Job & Internship Fair (all UMN campuses), late February each year, Minneapolis
- For up-to-date information for each of the fairs, check out our Events page.
Insights From Students About Their Chosen Majors
- What can I do with Anthropology?
- 8 (more) jobs you can do with Anthropology
- Major exploration: Cultural Entrepreneurship (CUE)
- Exploring careers in Psychology
- What can I do with with Psychology?