Hey Bulldogs! Everyone here at Career & Internship Services wants to welcome all of you sophomore, juniors, and seniors back and we want to give a special welcome to all the new freshmen! Classes are now in session and some of us know the drill and for others it’s a whole new experience. The significance of this post is to introduce (or refresh your memory) all the services we offer here in our office (SCC 22).
So if you find yourself needing help with:
- Polishing up or building a resume
- Picking a major/minor and exploring career options
- Finding a job or internship
- Getting ready for a job fair
- Discovering your strengths/interests/personality traits and how they align with you major
Then Career & Internship Services is the place that has the answers for you! Of course the above list is not all inclusive, we offer many more services designed to help all current and former University of Minnesota Duluth students. Many students come in for a variety of things; below are a few more of our services summarized in case you are unfamiliar with our office.
One-on-one Career Counseling
Career counselors are available to meet with students and alumni to provide professional guidance in order to help those students/alumni to succeed in an evolving global workforce. They have the tools and the know how to help you find your way, whether you have a dream to study abroad, to find an internship, go to graduate school, or if you need help deciding on your major, our counselors can help guide you towards the resources needed to make your dreams a reality.
We offer 3 in-depth career assessments in our office that are designed to help you along your path towards finding a career that is right for you, if you choose to take one of the assessments an appointment is scheduled with a counselor where they sit down and interpret the results with you. The three assessments we offer are:
- Strong Interest Inventory – designed to compare your interests with interests of other people in various career fields and generates a list of occupations that relate to your interests.
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator – identifies your personality type which is then related to potential career fields and working environments.
- StrengthsQuest – identifies you top 5 strengths and relates them to your educational and career plans.
We hold several workshops designed to benefit all the students at UMD, below are some of the workshops:
- Getting ready for the job & internship fair workshop- where you can find out what to wear, what to bring, and how to make a good impression
- Getting ready for the education job fair workshop- where you can find out what to wear, what to bring, and how to make a good impression. This workshop is tailored for teaching and education services majors.
- How to land an internship workshop- where you learn about tips and resources to help you land that internship.
- Interviewing workshop- where you learn what it takes to be successful in an interview while practicing your own skills and receiving feedback during this hands-on workshop
- Preparing for graduate & professional school workshop where you learn about the timeline for applying, different pieces that are required in the application, deadlines and helpful tips to prepare your application.
- Writing personal statements workshop -where you work on writing a personal statement for graduate or professional school
Resume and LinkedIn/GoldPASS Drop-In Hours
Drop-in hours were created because we know students have a busy schedule. We’ve designated times for when students can stop by and get a little help from our Peer Educators and Career Counselors, drop-ins are located in our Career Resource Center in SCC 22.
- Resume Drop-In Hours – Every Tuesday and Wednesday from 2-4 pm
- September 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30
- October 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29
- November 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 25, 26
- December 2, 3, 9, 10
- LinkedIn/GoldPASS Drop-In Hours – Every Thursday from 2-4 pm
- September 4, 11, 18, 25
- October 9, 16, 23, 30
- November 6, 13, 20
- December 4, 11
Alongside all the things listed above, we also provide the Graduate Follow-Up Report, InterviewStream, GoldPASS, cover letter help, and so much more. As you can see we offer a lot of services that are tailored to the needs of our students and all we ask in return for these services is that you use them! So if you need some help or just have some basic questions don’t hesitate to pop on in, we would be happy to help. We are open Monday- Friday from 8am- 4:30pm and are located in Solon Campus Center 22, hope to see you there!