For those who aren’t familiar with GoldPASS, it is a career website owned by the University of Minnesota where employers can post job opportunities for U of M students and alumni. When you first use GoldPASS you are required to upload your resume before applying to positions. The University of Minnesota Duluth Career & Internship Services office will review the first resume you upload, if you are UMD student or alum. When your resume is being reviewed it has the potential of being Approved, Approved with Reservations, or Unapproved. The main reason for this approval process is not to dictate what resumes the office wants on the website. Our office cares deeply about providing students with the necessary tools to succeed. For this reason, the approval process is used to provide students with feedback and help increase their chances of being hired, as much as possible.
The following blog post will list the main reasons why a resume is either approved, approved with reservations, or unapproved on GoldPASS. If you are wondering why your resume received a certain rating or if you simply want to make your resume as professional as possible, then the following list will be extremely helpful.
*NOTE: Each resume is unique, and no one factor renders a resume “unapprovable,” but consider the guidelines below when submitting a resume.
- Heading includes name, address, email, and phone
- Education is in proper location for career stage
- Proper length (generally 1 page, exceptions may be made for non-traditional students, teaching candidates, or graduate students)
- Consistency in dates, dashes, spaces, alignment, bolding, etc.
- Descriptive statements describing experiences; effective use of action verbs
- Quality use of space; balance of text and white space
- Proper formatting and order of information; easy to navigate and important information doesn’t seem hidden
- Font is easy to read and consistent, not too small/large or decorative
- Appropriate use of bolding and bullets
- Format and content are appropriate for objective and/or major
APPROVED WITH RESERVATIONS
Resumes are typically given the rating of “Approved with Reservations” when there are 2-3 “red flags” from the list below, depending on the severity. The rating “Approved with Reservations” will still allow you to use your resume on GoldPASS, but it is highly recommended that some changes be made.
A resume will typically receive a rating of “Unapproved” if there are 3-4 “red flags” from the list below, depending on the severity.
- Lack of clear format, nothing stands out, difficult to navigate
- Font style or size makes it difficult to read
- Difficult to find name or other contact information
- Lines, colors, or other characters that get in the way of content
- Paragraphs; essay format
- Order of headings not appropriate for career stage
- Order of other information incorrect (i.e. Position Title should be 1st)
- Lots of high school (>2 yrs out), or other irrelevant information
- Inconsistencies in dates, dashes, alignment, etc.
- Lack of descriptive information, “key words”
- Use of personal pronouns, “duties included” or “responsible for”
- Use of incorrect wording, abbreviations, etc.
- ANY misspelling, grammatical errors
- Overall lack of professionalism
Hopefully this will give you some insight into the thought process that goes into each resume review. Keep working hard on that resume and good luck in the rest of your job search!
Of Possible Interest:
- Common Questions About GoldPASS
- How to Apply for a Position on GoldPASS
- How to Break Down a Job/Internship Posting
- Resume & Cover Letter (all of our blog posts on this topic)
- Ace the Job Search (our Pinterest Board)