So you just got your first job after graduation and your first day is tomorrow … First off, congratulations! Second, what are you going to bring with you? I am sure you will bring your keys, wallet, and a cup of coffee/tea (of course), but what else might you need? With all of the nerves and excitement that comes with getting a job after graduation, no one worries about what to bring with them to make their life at work easier.
I asked a few professional staff what sorts of random items they have in their desks that come in handy and here is what I found:
- Deodorant — No one likes to be smelly at work!
- Lint roller — You never know what sorts of dust and fuzzies will stick to you throughout the day.
- Stain remover — A stain on your top or pants would be embarrassing!
- Fidget items — For the long days when you just can’t quite sit still.
- Hand weights — Do some exercising during your breaks!
- Shoes — If it is rains or snows, you have nothing to worry about because you have dry, warm shoes waiting for you in your office.
- Nail clipper and nail file — Sometimes you just need to clip your nails or remove a pesky hangnail.
- Earring backs — You never know when the back of your earring will fall off!
- Bandages — Blisters, paper cuts, hangnails, etc.
- Toothbrush/toothpaste — You’re safe if you forget to brush in the morning and if you have some garlicky pasta for lunch.
- Small mirror — Perfect for touching up make-up, hair, or just making sure you have nothing in your teeth!
- Pain medication — Don’t let a headache ruin your day.
- Thank you cards — It is always nice to send thank you cards after meetings with important people in your workplace, having these available will make it super easy to do!
- Coffee mugs — You might like to offer coffee or tea to people you meet with.
- Sewing kit — You never know when a seam will come loose.
- Shoe polish — Clean the scuffs and dust off of your shoes to keep yourself looking put together!
- Screen cleaner — It is amazing how dirty a computer screen can get. Keep it clean and clear with some screen cleaner.
- Glasses cleaner — No one likes a smudgy pair of spectacles!
Getting a new job after graduation is exciting! Even if you don’t have a job where you are seated at a desk, having some of these items in your car, purse, or backpack can be really handy. This is not to say that you need every single one of these items, but it allows you to think of things that might be helpful to have with you as you go to work each day because you never know what might happen. I wish you the best of luck with your new job and hope that having some of these items was of help for you!
Photo Source: Unsplash | Stil Classics