Major and minor (if applicable) Double major in Theater (acting emphasis) and Journalism
Year in school: Graduated!
Length of time worked at UMD Career Services: I started working for Career Services as a Peer Educator when I was a freshman, and continued to work for them past graduation for the summer. I ended up working for Career & Internship Services for a whopping 5 years! Time flies when you love what you do.
Favorite place in Duluth: Whenever I can be on a beach, I’m there, which makes Park Point my #1 place. Not so much in the winter, but anywhere along the Lake Walk is a great place to visit. Don’t forget about Enger Tower. It offers great views of the city, especially now, with the leaves changing colors for fall.
Best career advice you’ve received: Create your own opportunities, and have fun with what you’re doing. The moment it stops being fun, you need to figure out why, and then make changes to make it fun for yourself again.
Piece of career advice you have for other students: Be open to offbeat opportunities. You never know who you might meet and what connections they may have to introduce you to down the road. Take the internship that isn’t directly related to what you’re doing. You never know what skills you’ll acquire. Keep up with your own independent projects. Employers are interested to know you have a life outside of your chosen career path, and these projects will serve as an escape for you, too.
Next Steps: Ashlee is now working in marketing for a theatre/playhouse.
Posts written by Ashlee:
- 10 Pieces of Advice for the Class of 2014
- Disney Career Lessons
- Being a “Grown-Up” in a College Town
- Post-College Uncertainty? Oh Yeah, It’s Real
- Career Advice from The Wolf of Wall Street
- Your Professional Wish List
- The Hunger Games & Your Job Search
- Networking Secrets for Introverts
- Nothing Less Than Perfect for the Disciplined (StrengthsQuest)
- All Work & No Play Makes Jack a Dull Employee
- How to Deal with Job Rejection
- Food for Thought
- Office Rules – Part Deux
- No One Brings You Down: Positivity (StrengthsQuest)
- Office Etiquette: Part 1
- Who to Know Around the Office
- Networking: A Lifelong Skill
- Don’t Get Overwhelmed
- Adaptability: Be Open to What Comes to You (StrengthsQuest)
- Have You Googled You Lately
- Meet Ashlee