Hey everyone! My name is Hayley and I was a Psychology major and a Biology minor here at UMD.
Just a little about me; I recently graduated and am attending grad school for School Counseling. I worked two years at Career and Internship Services and I loved it.
I am originally from Mankato, MN, and attended UMD for my entire college career. 2013 was my first summer staying in Duluth and it was amazing. I discovered that my favorite place in Duluth is Leif Erickson Park, on the boardwalk with a view of the pier. It’s a great place to sit and relax on a nice day; not so nice in the middle of winter, but still my favorite place.
One of the best pieces of career advice that I have received is to do something that I enjoy that plays into my strengths, if I change my mind and decide that I don’t like it anymore I can change it; it’s not something that is set in stone.
My advice for other students is to make a general plan of where they want to be in X amount of years or what they want to do and find out what they need to do to get there. Just make sure your plan is flexible, I know from experience that its difficult to decide exactly what it is that you want to do and once you think you have made that decision you might change your mind once or twice so you need to be able to have a little wiggle room.
Posts Hayley has written:
- Grad School: Year 1
- Reflecting on Being a Bulldog
- The Road to the Dream Job
- Your Summer of Transition (between undergrad & grad school)
- Interviewing for Graduate Programs – Another Take
- Deciding on Psychology Graduate Programs
- Forget the Resume???
- Choosing a Major
- Keeping Busy While Playing the Waiting Game
- Building a Wardrobe for Your Career
- Being Consistent (StrengthsQuest)
- Finding the Perfect Internship
- Behind the Scenes: Creating the Graduate Follow-up Report
- Meet Hayley