Major and minor: Psychology major, Art minor
Year in school: Graduated!!
Length of time worked at UMD Career & Internship Services: September 2014 – July 2016
Favorite place in Duluth: I love Enger Tower, especially at night when the city lights up!
Favorite hobby: I love art. Painting and ceramics are my favorites, but I also like drawing, mixed media, and other forms of art as well.
Best career advice you’ve received: The best piece of career advice I’ve received is to never stop searching for and trying to do what you love. Make having a career that you genuinely enjoy your goal, and take the opportunities that will help you achieve that goal.
Piece of career advice you have for other students: One of the best pieces of career advice I could give is related to a quote by Howard Thurman: “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Don’t choose to do something because it’s what you think you should do or what you are told you should do. You will be the most valuable to your own life and the lives of others if you do what Thurman advises – you do what makes you come alive.
After UMD: pursuing a graduate degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with the hope of eventually working on a college campus
Posts by Katie:
- From Welcome Week to Commencement: Reflecting on my College Years
- The Art of the Skype Interview
- Choosing the Perfect Grad Program
- The Dark Side of Leadership
- Surviving the GRE
- How to Make Your Life Legen-wait-for-it-DARY!
- I Just Have a Lot of Feelings (Life with Empathy)
- Bringing the Magic to Life: What Harry Potter Taught Me About Success
- Bringing the Magic to Life: What Harry Potter Taught Me About Myself
- Bringing the Magic to Life: What Harry Potter Taught Me About Others
- Decisions are Hard (How to be Deliberative)
- Making the Most of Your Short Time Abroad
- Art Therapy – An Alternative Career Option
- The Best-Laid Plans
- Confessions of an Introvert (#4): A Survival Guide
- Confessions of an Introvert (#3): Own Your Introversion
- Confessions of an Introvert (#2): You Don’t Know My Life
- Confessions of an Introvert: Can we all just be quiet for a minute?
- Confessions of a Former English Major – Part 2
- Confessions of a Former English Major – Part 1
- Meet Katie